"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Love of colors!

I have been working a little this week on one of my patchwork top UFOs. It is a Merry Go Round quilt in fabrics that I just love for their cheerful summer feel. I will have a good bit of these fabrics left when the quilt top is completed. So, I was looking at a 'new to me' blog and fell in love with this talented young quilter, Rachel's blog. She has a fun, fresh style which speaks to me even through my love of autumn shades and tradition. I want to try a thing or two with her designs in my more traditional shades.


But when I saw her Friendship Bag, I just knew it would look fabulous with some of the fabrics from my Merry Go Round quilt. It takes just a tiny bit of fabric so I could go ahead and make one. I was able to put most of it together last night while waiting for our handy man to arrive to talk about some work needing done in our new house. Oh, I never mentioned it on this blog but you can see our new house here. This was so much fun to sew up in quick time that I am planning on making more of them. These are great stash busters! Since you know that I am still stash busting, I think I feel a giveaway coming on so stay tuned...

As I have mentioned before, I love making scissor fobs as gifts. They can be so personal for people by using colors and kinds of beads and charms that fit for the person you are giving them to. And lets face it...every scissor needs a little jewelry! *wink*

So when I had a blogging friend over for lunch at my house recently, I know I wanted to give her a pair of Eiffel Tower scissors I had. These scissors needed the perfect fob with glass beads in pinks and lilacs with an Eiffel tower charm. You see, Caroline loves Paris. She feels about Paris what I feel about Brugge and I recognized that as she spoke about her last visit to the city.

I am late sharing this fob which was made especially for Jackie who one the guess as to which Beth Twist chart I was stitching. I had emailed and asked her what colors she loved. She told me she loved jewel tones so I picked out a hand blown glass bead with a rose on it and based my colors around it using purples and gold shades. I added the dragonfly charm for luck. I hope it has brought you lots of luck Jackie?

Can you see the quilt peeking around this scissor fob? Do you remember Pollyanna's Pinwheels? I am putting the finishing touches on it and will share it with you on my next blog post. Hope to talk to you again very soon but, until then, enjoy each stitch you make!

20 comments:

hazel c UK said...

This is unusual for me to comment first on your blog. I love the bag it is a useful size, I shall be taking the one I made on Saturday when I meet the Sampler Guild ladies for the first time. The scissor fobs are so pretty and the Effiel Tower scissors are so cute.

Take care,
Love Hazel (UK)

Jackie's Stitches said...

Heidi, I think of you and smile every time I use my scissors! I love them.

Your bag is adorable too. I'm going to check out her blog as I think it's new to me too!

Nancy said...

Oh, I love that bag, I picked up a pattern to make totes out of square quilt blocks, but never made it. I would like it tote size to hold more. That is what I thought I might someday make, hahaha. Right.
I love both fobs you made and the sissors are so pretty too. I have not seen any with the square handles. I know you are always looking for them.
I have my fobs on two pairs of sissors and another one laying here near me.
Very beautiful work as always.
Love you, Mom

Pondside said...

What a pretty bag! I'm heading right over to the link to look at the new house..........

Marjorie said...

That's an adorable bag. I've seen the tutorial before, she makes it look easy--though I am a dunce when it comes to sewing, having seen yours I think I'll give it a try!

rachel griffith said...

your bag is adorable.

Jenny said...

What an absolutely adorable bag. The colors are perfect. I always take a book and needlework with me when I take my daughter to soccer practice, when we go to visit family etc. This one is a perfect size. I also love the scissor fobs. They add such a nice touch to a pair of scissors:). I hope you have a happy day. I am looking forward to seeing your Pollyanna's Pinwheels quilt when it is finished. It is such a happy little quilt. Take care and hugs from California

Christine said...

That bag is absolutely gorgeous! Great scissor fobs too

Maggie said...

Heidi your scissor fobs are just lovely, and the Effiel Tower scissors so unusual.

I just love, love, love the little quilt bag!! oh how i wish i could sew, lol.

DonnaTN said...

The bag is gorgeous! I love your color choices. Your fobs are wonderful too! You are so good with colors and design!

Ginny said...

What is the finished size of the bag? I love it!

Brigitta said...

I absolutely love that bag, I should really give it a try sometime I guess.

Hope all is well with you Heidi.

Take care
Brigitta

Kathy A. said...

Those are lovely bags that you are making. And what a great way to use up stash.
Your scissor fobs are beautiful and so much more special because you have made each one special for the person who is being gifted.

Barb said...

Love the bag Heidi but those scissor fobs are just so adorable. I love the colours in the draonfly one. Wonder if they do bird charms?
I am going to visit Rachaels blog I don't quilt as you know ,but I am going for a nosey.

onlymehere said...

Love the colors of your Pollyanna Pinwheels! I'm excited to see the whole thing when you share it. You do such a great job with these scissor fobs. I'm sure your friends love them and will cherish them!

Margaret said...

What a pretty bag Heidi. You will get so much use out of it. My friend Ann made me a quilted bag several years ago for my stitching and I use all the time.

Such pretty fobs too. You are one creative lady.

Miss seeing you - will write soon.

hugs, Margaret

Siobhán said...

What a cute little bag!! Great job, Heidi. Love the scissor fobs, too!

Brigitte said...

This bag is soooo cool. I have to keep this pattern in mind for my summer holidays when I will have a lot of time for sewing.

Carolien said...

Your handmade things are great, as always! :)))

Hugs, Carolien

Hazel said...

Beautiful quilt! Love it. Great fobs too. That bag is lovely. I love the colours. I love pink and browns together. x